Tuesday, January 22, 2008

CHALLENGING ESTABLISHMENT










This is Mr. John Gokongwei's Speech at the recent 20th Ad Congress Nov 21, 2007. This is very interesting and moving coming from a man who had proven his worth and had built a business empire from scratch.






Read on and I hope you find this piece worth your while.









"Before I begin, I want to say please bear with me, an 81 year-old man who just flew in from San Francisco 36 hours ago and is still suffering from jet lag. However, I hope I will be able to say what you want to hear...





Ladies and gentlemen, good evening.

Thank you very much for having me here tonight to open the Ad Congress. I know how important this event is for our marketing and advertising colleagues. My people get very excited and go into a panic, every other year, at this time. I would like to talk about my life, entrepreneurship, and globalization.

I would like to talk about how we can become a great nation. You may wonder how one is connected to the other, but I promise that, as there is truth in advertising, the connection will come.

Let me begin with a story I have told many times. My own. I was born to a rich Chinese-Filipino family. I spent my childhood in Cebu where my father owned a chain of movie houses, including the first air-conditioned one outside Manila. I was the eldest of six children and live in a big house in Cebu's Forbes Park. A chauffeur drove me to school everyday as I went to San Carlos University, then and still one of the country's top schools. I topped my classes and had many friends. I would bring them to watch movies for free at my father's movie houses. When I was 13, my father died suddenly of complications due to typhoid.

Everything I enjoyed vanished instantly. My father's empire was built on credit. When he died, we lost everything-our big house, our cars, and our business-to the banks. I felt angry at the world for taking away my father, and for taking away all that I enjoyed before. When the free movies disappeared, I also lost half my friends. On the day I had to walk two miles to school for the very first time, I cried to my mother, a widow at 32. But she said: "You should feel lucky. Some people have no shoes to walk to school. What can you do? Your father died with 10centavos in his pocket."

So, what can I do? I worked. My mother sent my siblings to China where living standards were lower. She and I stayed in Cebu to work, and we sent them money regularly. My mother sold her jewelry. When that ran out, we sold roasted peanuts in the backyard of our much-smaller home. When that wasn't enough, I opened a small stall in a palengke. I chose one among several palengkes a few miles outside the city because there were fewer goods available for the people there.

I woke up at five o'clock every morning for the long bicycle ride to the palengke with my basket of goods. There, I set up a table about three feet by two feet in size. I laid out my goods-soap, candles, and thread-and kept selling until everything was bought. Why these goods? Because these were hard times and this was a poor village, so people wanted and needed the basics-soap to keep them clean, candles to light the night, and thread to sew their clothes. I was surrounded by other vendors, all of them much older. Many of them could be my grandparents. And they knew the ways of the palengke far more than a boy of 15, especially one who had never worked before.

But being young had its advantages. I did not tire as easily, and I moved more quickly. I was also more aggressive. After each day, I would make about 20 pesos in profit! There was enough to feed my siblings and still enough to pour back into the business. The pesos I made in the palengke were the pesos that went into building the business I have today. After this experience, I told myself, "If I can compete with people so much older than me, if I can support my whole family at 15, I can do anything!"

Looking back, I wonder, what would have happened if my father had not left my family with nothing? Would I have become the man I am? Who knows?
The important thing to know is that life will always deal us a few bad cards. But we have to play those cards the best we can. And WE can play to win! This was one lesson I picked up when I was a teenager. It has been my guiding principle ever since. And I have had 66 years to practice self-determination.

When I wanted something, the best person to depend on was myself. And so I continued to work. In 1943, I expanded and began trading goods between Cebu and Manila. From Cebu, I would transport tires on a small boat called a batel. After traveling for five days to Lucena, I would load them into a truck for the six- hour trip to Manila. I would end up sitting on top of my goods so they would not be stolen! In Manila, I would then purchase other goods from the earnings I made from the tires, to sell in Cebu.

Then, when WWII ended, I saw the opportunity for trading goods in post-war Philippines. I was 20 years old. With my brother Henry, I put up Amasia Trading which imported onions, flour, used clothing, old newspapers and magazines, and fruits from the United States. In 1948, my mother and I got my siblings back from China. I also converted a two-story building in Cebu to serve as our home, office, and warehouse all at the same time. The whole family began helping out with the business.

In 1957, at age 31, I spotted an opportunity in corn-starch manufacturing. But I was going to compete with Ludo and Luym, the richest group in Cebu and the biggest cornstarch manufacturers. I borrowed money to finance the project. The first bank I approached made me wait for two hours, only to refuse my loan. The second one, China Bank, approved a P500, 000-peso clean loan for me. Years later, the banker who extended that loan, Dr. Albino Sycip said that he saw something special in me.

Today, I still wonder what that was, but I still thank Dr. Sycip to this day. Upon launching our first product, Panda corn starch, a price war ensued. After the smoke cleared, Universal Corn Products was still left standing. It is the foundation upon which JG Summit Holdings now stands.

Interestingly, the price war also forced the closure of a third cornstarch company, and one of their chemists was Lucio Tan, who always kids me that I caused him to lose his job. I always reply that if it were not for me, he will not be one of the richest men in the Philippines today.

When my business grew, and it was time for me to bring in more people-my family, the professionals, the consultants, and more employees-I knew that I had to be there to teach them what I knew. When dad died at age 34, he did not leave a succession plan. From that, I learned that one must teach people to take over a business at any time.

The values of hard work that I learned from my father, I taught to my children. They started doing jobs here and there even when they were still in high school. Six years ago, I announced my retirement and handed the reins to my youngest brother James and only son Lance.

But my children tease me because I still go to the office every day and make myself useful. I just hired my first Executive Assistant and moved into a bigger and nicer office. Building a business to the size of JG Summit was not easy. Many challenges were thrown my way. I could have walked away from them, keeping the business small, but safe. Instead, I chose to fight. But this did not mean I won each time.

By 1976, at age 50, we had built significant businesses in food products anchored by a branded coffee called Blend 45, and agro-industrial products under the Robina Farms brand. That year, I faced one of my biggest challenges, and lost. And my loss was highly publicized, too. But I still believe that this was one of my defining moments.

In that decade, not many business opportunities were available due to the political and economic environment. Many Filipinos were already sending their money out of the country. As a Filipino, I felt that our money must be invested here. I decided to purchase shares in San Miguel, then one of the Philippines' biggest corporations. By 1976, I had acquired enough shares to sit on its board. The media called me an upstart. "Who is Gokongwei and why is he doing all those terrible things to San Miguel?" ran one headline of the day. In another article, I was described as a pygmy going up against the powers-that- be. The San Miguel board of directors itself even aid for an ad in all the country’s top newspapers telling the public why I should not be on the board.

On the day of reckoning, shareholders quickly filled up the auditorium to witness the battle. My brother James and I had prepared for many hours for this debate. We were nervous and excited at the same time. In the end, I did not get the board seat because of the Supreme Court Ruling. But I was able to prove to others-and to myself-that I was willing to put up a fight. I succeeded because I overcame my fear, and tried. I believe this battle helped define who I am today.

In a twist to this story, I was invited to sit on the board of Anscor and San Miguel Hong Kong 5 years later. Lose some, win some. Since then, I've become known as a serious player in the business world, but the challenges haven't stopped coming. Let me tell you about the three most recent challenges. In all three, conventional wisdom bet against us.

See, we set up businesses against market Goliaths in very high-capital industries: airline, telecoms, and beverage.





Challenge No. 1: In 1996, we decided to start an airline. At the time, the dominant airline in the country was PAL, and if you wanted to travel cheaply, you did not fly. You went by sea or by land.

However, my son Lance and I had a vision for Cebu Pacific: We wanted every Filipino to fly. Inspired by the low-cost carrier models in the United States, we believed that an airline based on the no-frills concept would work here. No hot meals. No newspaper. Mono-class seating. Operating with a single aircraft type. Faster turn around time. It all worked, thus enabling Cebu Pacific to pass on savings to the consumer. How did we do this?

By sticking to our philosophy of "low cost, great value." And we stick to that philosophy to this day. Cebu Pacific offers incentives. Customers can avail themselves of a tiered pricing scheme, with promotional seats for as low a P1. The earlier you book, the cheaper your ticket. Cebu Pacific also made it convenient for passengers by making online booking available.

This year, 1.25 million flights will be booked through our website. This reduced our distribution costs dramatically. Low cost. Great value. When we started 11 years ago, Cebu Pacific flew only 360,000 passengers, with 24 daily flights to 3 destinations. This year, we expect to fly more than five million passengers, with over 120 daily flights to 20 local destinations and 12 Asian cities.

Today, we are the largest in terms of domestic flights, routes and destinations. We also have the youngest fleet in the region after acquiring new Airbus 319s and 320s. In January, new ATR planes will arrive. These are smaller planes that can land on smaller air strips like those in Palawan and Caticlan.

Now you don't have to take a two-hour ride by mini-bus to get to the beach. Largely because of Cebu Pacific, the average Filipino can now afford to fly. In 2005, 1 out of 12 Filipinos flew within a year. In 2012, by continuing to offer low fares, we hope to reduce that ratio to 1 out of 6. We want to see more and more Filipinos see their country and the world!

Challenge No. 2: In 2003, we established Digitel Mobile Philippines, Inc. and developed a brand for the mobile phone business called Sun Cellular. Prior to the launch of the brand, we were actually involved in a transaction to purchase PLDT shares of the majority shareholder. The question in everyone's mind was how we could measure up to the two telecom giants. They were entrenched and we were late by eight years! PLDT held the landline monopoly for quite a while, and was first in the mobile phone industry. Globe was a younger company, but it launched digital mobile technology here.

But being a late player had its advantages. We could now build our platform from a broader perspective. We worked with more advanced technologies and intelligent systems not available ten years ago. We chose our suppliers based on the most cost-efficient hardware and software. Being a Johnny-come- lately allowed us to create and launch more innovative products, more quickly. All these provided us with the opportunity to give the consumers a choice that would rock their world.

The concept was simple. We would offer Filipinos to call and text as much as they want for a fixed monthly fee. For P250 a month, they could get in touch with anyone within the Sun network at any time. This means great savings of as much as 2/3 of their regular phone bill!

Suddenly, we gained traction. Within one year of its introduction, Sun hit one million customers. Once again, the paradigm shifts - this time in the telecom industry. Sun's 24/7 Call and Text unlimited changed the landscape of mobile-phone usage. Today, we have over 4 million subscribers and 2000 cell sites around the archipelago. In a country where 97% of the market is pre-paid, we believe we have hit on the right strategy. Sun Cellular is a Johnny-come- lately, but it's doing all right. It is a third player, but a significant one, in an industry where Cassandras believed a third player would perish. And as we have done in the realm of air travel, so have we done in the telecom world:

We have changed the marketplace. In the end, it is all about making life better for the consumer by giving them choices.

Challenge No. 3: In 2004, we launched C2, the green tea drink that would change the face of the local beverage industry - then, a playground of cola companies. Iced tea was just a sugary brown drink served bottomless in restaurants.
For many years, hardly was there any significant product innovation in the beverage business. Admittedly, we had little experience in this area. Universal Robina Corporation is the leader in snack foods but our only background in beverage was instant coffee. Moreover, we would be entering the playground of huge multinationals. We decided to play anyway.

It all began when I was in China in 2003 and noticed the immense popularity of bottled iced tea. I thought that this product would have huge potential here. We knew that the Philippines was not a traditional tea-drinking country since more familiar to consumers were colas in returnable glass bottles.

But precisely, this made the market ready for a different kind of beverage. One that refreshes yet gives the health benefits of green tea. We positioned it as a "spa" in a bottle. A drink that cools and cleans...thus, C2 was born. C2 immediately caught on with consumers.

When we launched C2 in 2004, we sold 100,000 bottles in the first month. Three years later, Filipinos drink around 30 million bottles of C2 per month. Indeed, C2 is in a good place. With Cebu Pacific, Sun Cellular, and C2, the JG Summit team took control of its destiny. And we did so in industries where old giants had set the rules of the game. It's not that we did not fear the giants. We knew we could have been crushed at the word go. So we just made sure we came prepared with great products and great strategies. We ended up changing the rules of the game instead. There goes the principle of self-determination, again. I tell you, it works for individuals as it does for companies. And as I firmly believe, it works for nations.

I have always wondered, like many of us, why we Filipinos have not lived up to our potential. We have proven we can. Manny Pacquiao and Efren Bata Reyes in sports. Lea Salonga and the UP Madrigal Singers in performing arts. Monique Lhuillier and Rafe Totenco in fashion. And these are just the names made famous by the media. There are many more who may not be celebrities but who have gained respect on the world stage. But to be a truly great nation, we must also excel as entrepreneurs before the world.

We must create Filipino brands for the global market place. If we want to be philosophical, we can say that, with a world-class brand, we create pride for our nation. If we want to be practical, we can say that, with brands that succeed in the world, we create more jobs for our people, right here. Then, we are able to take part in what's really important-giving our people a big opportunity to raise their standards of living, giving them a real chance to improve their lives. We can do it.
Our neighbors have done it. So can we. In the last 54 years, Korea worked hard to rebuild itself after a world war and a civil war destroyed it. From an agricultural economy in 1945, it shifted to light industry, consumer products, and heavy industry in the '80s. At the turn of the 21st century, the Korean government focused on making Korea the world's leading IT nation. It did this by grabbing market share in key sectors like semiconductors, robotics, and biotechnology. Today, one remarkable Korean brand has made it to the list of Top 100 Global Brands: Samsung. Less then a decade ago, Samsung meant nothing to consumers. By focusing on quality, design, and innovation, Samsung improved its products and its image. Today, it has surpassed the Japanese brand Sony. Now another Korean brand, LG Collins, is following in the footsteps of Samsung. It has also broken into the Top 100 Global Brands list.

What about China? Who would have thought that only 30 years after opening itself up to a market economy, China would become the world's fourth largest economy? Goods made in China are still thought of as cheap. Yet many brands around the world outsource their manufacturing to this country. China's own brands-like Lenovo, Haier, Chery QQ, and Huawei-are fast gaining ground as well. I have no doubt they will be the next big electronics, technology and car brands in the world.

Lee Kwan Yu's book "From Third World to First" captures Singapore's aspiration to join the First World. According to the book, Singapore was a trading post that the British developed as a nodal point in its maritime empire. The racial riots there made its officials determined to build a "multiracial society that would give equality to all citizens, regardless of race, language or religion." When Singapore was asked to leave the Malaysian Federation of States in 1965, Lee Kwan Yew developed strategies that he executed with single-mindedness despite their being unpopular. He and his cabinet started to build a nation by establishing the basics: building infrastructure, establishing an army, weeding out corruption, providing mass housing, building a financial center.

Forty short years after, Singapore has been transformed into the richest South East Asian country today, with a per capita income ofUS$32,000. These days, Singapore is transforming itself once more. This time it wants to be the creative hub in Asia, maybe even the world. More and more, it is attracting the best minds from all over the world in filmmaking, biotechnology, media, and finance. Meantime, Singaporeans have also created world-class brands: Banyan Tree in the hospitality industry, Singapore Airlines in the Airline industry and Singapore Telecoms in the Telco industry.

I often wonder: Why can't the Philippines, or a Filipino, do this? Fifty years after independence, we have yet to create a truly global brand. We cannot say the Philippines is too small because it has 86 million people. Switzerland, with 9 million people, created Nestle. Sweden, also with 9 million people, created Ericsson. Finland, even smaller with five million people, created Nokia. All three are major global brands, among others. Yes, our country is well-known for its labor, as we continue to export people around the world. And after India, we are grabbing a bigger chunk of the pie in the call-center and business-process- outsourcing industries. But by and large, the Philippines has no big industrial base, and Filipinos do not create world-class products. We should not be afraid to try-even if we are laughed at. Japan, laughed at for its cars, produced Toyota. Korea, for its electronics, produced Samsung. Meanwhile, the Philippines' biggest companies 50 years ago-majority of which are multinational corporations such as Coca-Cola, Procter and Gamble, and Unilever Philippines, for example-are still the biggest companies today.

There are very few big, local challengers. But already, hats off to Filipino entrepreneurs making strides to globalize their brands. Goldilocks has had much success in the Unites States and Canada, where half of its customers are non-Filipinos. Coffee-chain Figaro may be a small player in the coffee world today, but it is making the leap to the big time. Two Filipinas, Bea Valdez and Tina Ocampo, are now selling their Philippine-made jewelry and bags all over the world. Their labels are now at Barney's and Bergdorf's in the U.S. and in many other high-end shops in Asia, Europe, and the Middle East. When we started our own foray outside the Philippines 30 years ago, it wasn't a walk in the park. We set up a small factory in Hong Kong to manufacture Jack and Jill potato chips there.

Today, we are all over Asia. We have the number-one-potato- chips brand in Malaysia and Singapore. We are the leading biscuit manufacturer in Thailand, and a significant player in the candy market in Indonesia. Our Aces cereal brand is a market leader in many parts of China. C2 is now doing very well in Vietnam, selling over 3 million bottles a month there, after only 6 months in the market. Soon, we will launch C2 in other South East Asian markets. I am 81 today. But I do not forget the little boy that I was in the palengke in Cebu. I still believe in family. I still want to make good. I still don't mind going up against those older and better than me. I still believe hard work will not fail me.

And I still believe in people willing to think the same way. Through the years, the market place has expanded: between cities, between countries, between continents. I want to urge you all here to think bigger. Why serve 86 million when you can sell to four billion Asians? And that's just to start you off. Because there is still the world beyond Asia... When you go back to your offices, think of ways to sell and market your products and services to the world. Create world-class brands. You can if you really tried. I did. As a boy, I sold peanuts from my backyard. Today, I sell snacks to the world. I want to see other Filipinos do the same. Thank you and good evening once again.

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

lucila, bps II-2
it was very long but as i keep on reading it i felt interested and i got inspired with his life...i admired his strong determination because as a kid,he thought of something that would help his family...
HARDWORK,SELF-DETERMINATION,POSITIVE THINKING AND TRUSTING YOURSELF are the attitudes that i learned from reading this blog...it was really an inspiring speech because readers would realize that big things come from small things...and of course there are challenges that we would pass along in everything that we do,we know that it is a part of our life and we should take it as a challenge to pursue our priorities...if one person can do it,why aren't we?
let's just strive for better and make our country proud...

Anonymous said...

it was a good speech because it gets the readers attention and it was very inspiring.. the life of mr.john gokongwei is one of the best life story that we should follow..we should be determined in everything that we do just like him for us to be rich or for us to have a good future...
lets just make our country proud just like every other country's success...

Anonymous said...

that was really inspiring and left me thought to ponder..

i commend mr. john gokongwei for his self-confidence, determination, guts and being a risk-taker. the adage " kapag may tiyaga may nilaga ", really meant something. inspite of the problems he undergone it didnt make him to stop to strived and he just continue to dream and believed that he will succeed. and hoola, that's really happen. the story of his life make me realize that money isn't really a big deal at all, you can do everything and attain your dreams if you just only know how to play with the game of the life and be witty to face it's puzzles.

he is right for saying that, why we filipino's can't do what other countries do like china ,korea to have a product that every nation will patronize, are we only good in promoting our labor force? is thta the only "product or brand " that we can offer? we have a boom population of 86 million people yet we can't still prove that we can serve a billion of people. filipino are talented and have great potential and we had proven that but still we are playing like an underdog and following in the shadow of the great players that we know we can beat.

i know it's absurd to say these words and to hell who i am to say this ( i think), i think i should begin it in myself of proving something and be a risk-taker and don't be afraid to venture in business what we called LIFE..

Anonymous said...

worth reading article.
despite of its length. still i continue till the end.
I am so proud of myself and also to mister businessman.
his life is very inspirational to the filipino people.
may this speech be read or heard by the aspiring people who wants to be successful in the business world as a guide on their path.

Anonymous said...

a very inspiring speech..
anyone who would be able to hear or read his speech would be more determine to think positive whatever downfall they might be experiencing..

Anonymous said...

It's kinda weird but I felt something unusual inside as I read this post. Truly, I was moved by this article, especially the final three paragraphs. It seems that the message sends shivers to me.

Its nice to see someone(a half-Filipino) in that sense who is able to think/aim that high not only for himself but for the nations sake[though he has this own business motives..].

The unusual story why I'd felt something creepy inside is because of this.. ,I used to daydream some things like this-reaching your heights and at the same time making your momma proud of ya.[Lam mu un, si Inang Bayan.]

This post had this terrible effect on me. The goosebumps, Luv it! Nice one Sir!

Hope to read more interesting and soul tempting readings here.

, thnx..


†††_®ai_†††



Brian Lloyd E. Belen
BPS II-2

Anonymous said...

..it was long yet very interesting to read..you can attain everything you wanted if you work hard for it..unlike others, they want to have what they want in a snap..I admire him for being strong in those hard times of their lives..of his young age, he still manage to do his task..he is too responsible enough at his young age..lesson learned from that blog is work everything for what you wanted and you will have it in time..

Anonymous said...

at first, i thought this article would just be full of boastfulness, but I was deinitely wrong. It is worth reading!. I didn't know those facts before, thanks sir for posting it! I learned a lot!.This article is both eye and mind opener, it reminds us that life is like really a wheel, sometimes your up, sometimes down, that is life!.So, just keep on fighting, never give up, I know these are the things mr. Gokongwei wants to impart to us. He's just a perfect example for people who want to have a good life!. Nice article!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Anonymous said...

012508

gud_evening sir!!!

I quite don’t know why my eyes started to get wet when I began to read the first few paragraphs about the speaker’s background. Heheh... :)

Even though it’s pretty long, I actually enjoyed reading it. Although there’s nothing different about these kinds of hardships-to-success stories, it’s still good to know that these 'giant persons' do have experienced life 'down-the-line' and had a humble background. It makes me feel that they are still persons who have a heart, full of emotions. It gives me a feeling of hope that I could do what they have done, like what Mr. JG keeps on emphasizing. And I do agree with him that our own success will depend on us, on how we are going to persevere, to fight, and to make our dreams a reality.

Mr. JG fought with his challenges by only using his attitudes in life. I admired how he competes with those ‘big guys’ in the business industry, how he inspires other people to make their own triumph, and his dream for this country to be the best. He boosts the morale of every Filipino with this speech, even though he is a ‘half-blood’, which I think is a bit shameful for us who are the true ‘Slytherins’ (pure-blood... :) ) of this land.

However, it somewhat made me think and realize that what he is saying is painting an ugly reality: that although some Filipinos are already making names to other countries, showing their talents and geniuses, still they are proving it from and to the other lands, and not on their own. We only know it through the media from abroad, or from other Filipinos there. It’s like other people should first recognize these talented, world-acclaimed and honored Filipinos before we see and realize that they’re great; that we also go crazy and wild and proud, to the point of owning them, after other citizens have seen the greatness in us. It’s like they judge first, and then we only agree. And I think it’s time that we do our own big names from where we really are: here in our own country. We must start to shine from here. Because we make our dreams here, we perspired here, and I think it’s just right to invest here, be known world wide from here, and let every single Filipinos, as much as possible, be involved, by having jobs and letting them to showcase their own skills and talents too.

And yes, we hardly need these self-determination, discipline, optimism, perspiration, dream, attitude, consistency, faith, control, and patriotism that will make us, and our countrymen, be in the first world someday. We are being challenged each day on how we are going to establish our own signatures, but where are we going to start? And how far could we go?

But just like what Mr. JG have said: "If they made it, so we can!". If they made it that far, we could also too...

...we should simply, and always, bear this winner-attitude in us: “It might be difficult, but it’s possible.”

Joan Michelle B. Mapanao
BPS 2nd yr.-Irregular (BPS 2-2)

Anonymous said...

this article is very inspiring..
i love to read articles about marketing, entrepreneurship and many other related matters..
actually my classmates tease me that pol scie should not be the course im taking now...

truly self-determination, thinking big, and taking risks are valueses that are essential not only in the field of business but also in every field of our life...
as i read the article, i realized that "money" is not the driven force of mr. cogongwei, its the sincerity of giving high quality at low costs products to the consumer..
this is the rel thing behing this "capitalism" in which the other side of the political spectrum claiming that this is a distraction in nation building, that this commercialization they keep on saying, is the hindrance toward the development of the country..
but for me, this is highly null and void.. because these successful Filipino entrepreneurs is not self fish, evils, and mere money oriented people, they are actually the most productive sector of the Filipinos. they bring pride to our nation.

thus, lets prove to the world that we, the Filipinos could do it actually could surpass them!!

i will start it on myself...

Anonymous said...

inspiring ang kwento ng buhay ni Gokongwei, ang galing niya kasi naitaguyod niya ulit ang kanilang pamilya.

(parang gusto ko na ring magnegosyo dahil sa kwento ng kanyang buhay)

Galing, talino at diskarte, ito yata ang ginamit niya upang magkaroon ng negosyo na nakikipagsabayan sa malalaking kumpanya, na nakatulong ng malaki sa kanya at sa kanyang pamilya.

Siguro ang mga taong nakarinig na ng speech na ito ay nadagdagan ang tiwala sa kanilang sarili, nakaka-encourage ang mga bagay na nangyari sa kanya. Kung kaya, kaya rin ng iba at ng nakakarami.

Tulad nga ng sabi nya, tayo bilang mga Pilipino - hindi pa rin natin napatutunayan ang tunay nating kakayahan, di tulad ng ibang bansa.

Ang kwento ng kanyang buhay ay magandang halimbawa upang ang ibang tao ay magkaroon ng mas malalim na pananaw sa mga pagsubok ng kinakaharap.....

Erueen Megino
PUP-BSIT 2-4d

Anonymous said...

I agree to Mr. Gokongwei that being young, we have a lot more advantages that the older ones, but it doesn’t mean that you’re good at all. It depends on how wise you are in a situation.

I remember one of my professors told us that there are 3D’s to be successful. 1st D is to DREAM. Dream on things you want, dream on things you want to have, dream on things you want to happen, dream for an ambition, goals and so forth. This dream would urge you to do your best in everything. 2nd D would be to DARE. Dare to take risks, dare to fail, dare to go beyond the norms, dare to make a stand on your own even though you know you’ll lose, dare to make a change. This dare would help you learn a lot from things you can’t learn if you didn’t even try to take challenges. And the 3rd D is to DO it! Of course, after dreaming or planning what you wanted in life, after taking risks, you should make an action on it! You shouldn’t just stand there and regret the things you should do. Making an action would help you a lot from succeeding.

The good thing about Mr. Gokongwei is that he knows how to prioritize, organize the ideas and the right timing to enter. That’s the problem I can see from most of the people, even me. I don’t know how and what to prioritize first, then its hard to organize and sometimes they come in with the wrong timing. People, mostly like the rich ones, were becoming more selfish. The richer they become, the more selfish they can be. Being greedy is a nature to the man as said my one of the philosophers. He is also wise, and he knows hoe to make his weakness to be his advantage. A great characteristic anyone could obtain if only we are as brave as him. Also, people are contented with what was achieved by other people abroad. They were saying that Filipinos are great that’s why they made it to the top. It doesn’t occur to them the idea that they and all the Filipinos should be at the top for tomorrow to have a better or, better yet, best country the world may have.

I believe that we have created a weak republic because the republic is the one which mirror the trust of its citizen. If the citizen doesn’t have enough trust on their government, it is hard for them to gain an increase in economy. Filipinos can and may unite if they wanted to, for example EDSA 1, but in terms of economic development where ordinary citizen can not understand what’s the effect of it to them, its hard for them to reunite again for the same goal. Filipinos had been ignorant on what’s happening on our economic status.

Knowing all these facts, that the Chinese are the one who’s being successful than us Filipinos, we should be alarmed because it is stated n our constitution that we should a self-sufficient economy effectively controlled by Filipinos. I’m not discouraging you to by the imported products, all I’m saying is that to be able to achieve the one thing we wanted, we should fight for it. We shouldn’t be afraid in failing, we neither should not be afraid of being scared, because like what Dr. Richard (chief medicine in Greys Anatomy, I don’t recall his last name) in Greys Anatomy said, “Being scared makes you feel that there’s something to look for”.

Anonymous said...

ahaha! sir! I forgot to write my name! the comment directly above this is mine sir huh!

-joy ann n. raguindin
BPS 2-2

Anonymous said...

gokongwei's life is very inspirational...that's why i kept on reading his speech kahit na nung una is parang nakaktamad na syang basahin kasi nga mahaba diba... pero tama sya dapat hindi natatakot magtry tayong mga Filipino na magproduce ng mga bagong brands for export purposes kasi lahat naman eh nag-uumpisa sa maliit pero umuunlad din naman.... mas mganda nga yung may challenge di ba kesa dun sa sinusubo na lang lahat...

iyon lang sir... maganda sya.... hehe


-Feliz Angelynne B. Mangahas
BSIT2-4D

Anonymous said...

Very long story but worth reading...It would inspire and give more encouragement to all Filipinos specially those who are in the field of business. This is a good example of story of success...We should not be afraid to take the risk and face the challenge. Sometimes it's not enough to go with the flow and do the conventional way of life, 'cuz opposing the flow brings different destiny...It all depends on the person's perseverance and will to go on...The biggest regret in life is when youy give up...so... NEVER GIVE UP!


-Mary Grace Canlas
BSIT Year2-4D

Anonymous said...

after reading the speech of Gokongwei...I became inspired of someday having my own business..hoping,I can be someone who will make the business world more active than ever...after all those circumstances that happened to his life...It's very nice to stand up on your own and make the difference to the world... He has the knowledge.. the courage..and the strategy to make things the way he planned it...starting from little things to make a fruitful one.. there's always hope for everyone...

just stick on your dreams.. made some plans.. and live it to reality...


joyce m. barrientos
bsit 2-4d

Anonymous said...

gud afternoon sir!!!hahaha super late comment...pwo at least...un na un!..
By the way, 'bout your post..so nice! eventhough 10 pages or 5 pages 2 columns di po halata n mahaba...
But if you only scroll it down to look on it, for sure you will hesitate to read it, and if do that hmmmn..i guarantee, you miss the half of your life.(woooshuunggg!!!)
His speech, Mr. Gokongwei is so inspiring,,,he's right!Though honestly speaking, i don't him. Upon reading this post, this is the first time i heard or read his name. We must move now!, If they can, why can't we?? But imagine from a centavo...to thousands..millions..or even billions he made it! He's a great man! He's a half blooded Filipino, but he is dedicated to the Filipinoman! Inspite of ups and downs of life, but that's the reality! What is life without trials, rocky roads that make ones competable in facing the world.

Let's start to build the castle from a sand!

GO PHILIPPINES!!!!AND THANKS FOR THE INSPIRING SPEECH THAT YOU'VE POSTED to share with us!!!

_dea durana _
_bsit 2-4D_

Anonymous said...

hi sir!!,,
L8 comment pero ok lng poh khit wla ng grade 2..Mr. Gokongwei's statements/story is very inspiring and tlaga nman pong my matutunan kmi mula dun.Dapat lamang po tlaga na tayong mga Pilipino o kahit hindi ay magsumikap sa buhay para makamtam po natin ang mga inaasam nating pangarap sa ating buhay.Di po dapat tyo huminto sa pag-strive sa buhay kung may kabiguan mang nangyari sa atin.Dapat po ay atin itong harapin at pagsumikapang lagpasan.Nothing is constant nman po tlaga dito sa mundo eh,lahat nagbabago kaya dapat lamang po nating tanggapin ang mga pagbabagong nangyayari sa buhay natin maganda man ito o hindi.Yun lang po at salamat dhil bnigyan niyo po kmi ng pagkakataong malaman ang kuwento ni Mr.Gokongwei.

Tnx sir and Godbless!!!

---> Lesly Monica E. Cruz
BSIT 2-4D

Anonymous said...

wel, wat a great inspiring speech dt is. olthough its just d ordinri rags-to-richs story or not aktwli a rags to richs since he was born wid a silvr spoon on his mouth. a story of a boy who despite of d loss of evrything stil didnt lose hope nd life stil continued. aboy dt didnt becme afraid to take risk and wen trials came by, faced evrything bravely. but stil, he remained filipino and in fact he became suxesful becoz of he's being filipino. he think dt evrything is posible if we cud see onli d way to make it posible.
and dts wat he wants us to have. d attitude dt we shud know how to find oppurtunits no matr it's hard to find. y not take risk. drs no harm in trying.
wid dt i salute you mr gokongwei for you know d true mening of patriotism which we shud all hav!
mark fusilero
bps 2-2

Anonymous said...

though it was a long speech it didnt make me bored. it is truly inspiring hearing or reading this kind of speech.

Many of us feels envy about those people who have a life that we all want to have. a life of wealth and happiness. sometimes we feel that this world is unfair because we are lack of opportunities unlike those people who owns half or one forth of our economy. but are we fair enough in thinking in that way. guys, let us first look the life of this people before we say that this world is so unfair.

guys, we always say that this dons who owns half of our economy didnt experience failure or poverty but this speech of one of the riches man in our country prove us that they also experienced it. and he made it his chsllenge to be sucessful one.

his speech teach us about hardworking and dedication. he also prove us that even a small mouse can compete and defeat a large cat like his bussinesses that compete in large and international corporation. it is only in the matter of presentation and strategy.

he is one of those filipino that we must set as one of the models in taking this country to it higher level. the level of development.


he prove to us and proving to us right now that our country regardless its economy and level of development can compete to those gigantic nation in terms of products sales and services. it is only in the matter of faith, discipline, dedication, and self-determination to do so.

so, before you feel envy to this sucessful tycoon, ask yourself if you have thier guts but still have a misserable life, so be envious. but if you have no guts like they have, so you have no right to be envious.

at the end of the day let all remember a native saying, "kapag may tiyaga may nilaga". if we have this hardwork and other qualifdication, i think we have this future to be one of those tycoon


jess alvin espinosa
bps 2-2

Anonymous said...

isang ihemplo ang mga ganitong klase ng istorya.

tayong lahat ay nangangarap na balang araw ay maging matagumpay. ang tanong eh, hanggang pangarap na lang ba tayo. di ba tayo kikilos upang matupad ito. mga kaibigan, tandaan natin na magandang mangarap pero mas magandang tinutupad ito, di ba?

wag nating sabihing di natin kaya o wala tayong sapat na kakayanan para matupad ito. bakit ang mga matagumpay na mga negusyanteng ito hindi sila sumuko sa kanilang pangarap kaya yun, nagbunga ito ng tagumpay.

gamitin natin ang mga pagkukulang na ito bilang ating sandata at hagdanan patungo sa atinng mga pangarap.

tayong lahat ay may kakayanang magtagumpay sa kahit anung larangan bastat laging tandaan ang salitang didikasyon at tiyaga

Anonymous said...

As they always say strike whilst the iron is hot... keep on trying.... try and try until you succeed...


John Kenneth Lim
BSIT 2-4D

Anonymous said...

One of the successful entrepreneurs is Mr. Gokongwei. He have the traits that business men should have. Like risk-taker, determination, optimistic and hard hard work.



Jessie Lou S. Mendoza
BSIT 2-4D

Anonymous said...

this was a story of a person born rich-grew poor-and is now living even richer..

a person who only has wit, knowledge and courage to face the life given to him..

he gained recognition and earned millions, from a 1-centavo coin..

basically,people who will read this post will say that this is an inspiring one..

well,honestly,for me, its not inspiring..it is and it must be a person's intial reaction to seek ways to succeed..even the least thing that would be given might give the best..
just learn how to go with the flow..
actually, there are many ways,.or better to say that, there are so many ways for us to be successful. the problem is just, filipinos tend to keep to shut their eyes on those possibilities..most of the filipinos are like JUAN TAMAD..
they just accept the kind of life they are in without exploring other dimensions..if they do, they will just do it in the beginning(coz filipinos are impatient)..

this post does not only show the greatness of this person..the achievments he head made..nor the success he experienced..

this post only proves that filipinos can..we can achieve success..if we would just try and sacrifice..

it is not about what he did. this is about what he had done..

why would you be inspired in this post if you could also do this?
why would you waste ure time thinking about his greatness?
why dont you try doing something instead?
something that will make you proud not only for yourself but as well as with other people..
just try..

so what if you fail?
der are lots of chances..

even gods who lived in heaven fell on earth,commiting mistakes,experiencing failures..but still,they managed to be on top again..

ahaha..i hope this comment sounds good..lol..

LiTtLe SainT said...

this was a story of a person born rich-grew poor-and is now living even richer..

a person who only has wit, knowledge and courage to face the life given to him..

he gained recognition and earned millions, from a 1-centavo coin..

basically,people who will read this post will say that this is an inspiring one..

well,honestly,for me, its not inspiring..it is and it must be a person's intial reaction to seek ways to succeed..even the least thing that would be given might give the best..
just learn how to go with the flow..
actually, there are many ways,.or better to say that, there are so many ways for us to be successful. the problem is just, filipinos tend to keep to shut their eyes on those possibilities..most of the filipinos are like JUAN TAMAD..
they just accept the kind of life they are in without exploring other dimensions..if they do, they will just do it in the beginning(coz filipinos are impatient)..

this post does not only show the greatness of this person..the achievments he head made..nor the success he experienced..

this post only proves that filipinos can..we can achieve success..if we would just try and sacrifice..

it is not about what he did. this is about what he had done..

why would you be inspired in this post if you could also do this?
why would you waste ure time thinking about his greatness?
why dont you try doing something instead?
something that will make you proud not only for yourself but as well as with other people..
just try..

so what if you fail?
der are lots of chances..

even gods who lived in heaven fell on earth,commiting mistakes,experiencing failures..but still,they managed to be on top again..

ahaha..i hope this comment sounds good..lol..

Anonymous said...

great speech
it is a story of a man from the worst to its best...
i think the lesson in that story is simply to have patience and full of self confidence..
life is like any other else...
before we can come up to something we should also give up something and waste everything for that something..
every space in our life is like a disaster.. a big hole that we should concentrate our guts to...
everything is within our own means, our will, to succeed our destiny and dreams...

Anonymous said...

kahit mahaba sya, interesanteng basahin.

"sipag + determinasyon + tiyaga" lang ang formulag nakikita ko para maging ganito kaunlad ang lahat.

walang imposible, ang pilipinas ang isa sa mga bansang may mga malilikhaing tao at mayaman sa kapaligiran, if we can just only use this things wisely, yakang-yaka para sa mga pinoy na angatan ang ibang bansa.

magagaling ang pinoy, di sa pagyayabang. tatak na yun ng pinoy eh, maabilidad. pero sadyang topakin at dinadatnan lang ng katamaran, sadyang yun lang.

if everyone who have the "fighting spirit" which mr. gokongwei has, tyak akong yakang-yaka yun ng mga pinoy.

craftsmen from our country has their leap pagdating sa industriya ng bansa. our crafts are being discovered by other european and eastern countries.

palakas ng palakas na din ang ekonomiya ng bansa sa ngayon, kung magpapatuloy toh sa mahabang panahon, tyak akong from 3rd world, yakang-yaka nang mapunta sa 1st world.

determinasyon, pagkakaron ng positibong pananaw sa buhay, sipag at tiyaga, tiwala sa sarili, tyak akong aangat ang bansa.

no doubt.

Mohammad Aguinaldo
BSIT II-4D

Anonymous said...

-----------------------------------
Meiko S. Lapay
BSIT 2-4


Actually, 'di siya nakakatamad basahin kahit mahaba kasi interesting 'yung kwento. Buhay pa ni Mr. Gokongwei.

Sa tingin ko, ang gusto lang iparating ng speech ni Mr. Gokongwei ay ang matuto tayong magtiwala sa mga produktong gawang Pilipino. Pagkatiwalaan natin 'yung sarili natin na kaya rin nating makipagsabayan sa ibang malalaking kompanya sa loob at labas ng bansa.

Normal lang na may pumalpak dahil kasama sa pamumuhay o pagnenegosyo iyon. If you're an entrepreneur, you're also a risk taker.

Tulad ng ginawa ni Mr. Gokongwei, mag-isip tayo ng mga bago at kakaibang pamamaraan at solusyon na maaaring makatulong sa buhay nating mga Pilipino. Ang mga tao naman laging naghahanap ng pinakabago at de-kalidad.

Sipag at tiyaga ay kailangan. Ipagmalaki ang produktong Pilipino.
-----------------------------------

Anonymous said...

I was very inspired from his speech..

He started from a very rich family.. And in one click, all of those we're gone.. But it didn't lose his determination.. He was still very brave to face his 'bad cards' even if it looks hopeless at all to win.. but then he win the fight and have been more successful.. Grabe!! Nakakabilib talaga yung naging buhay nya.. =)

TRIZZIA MAY V. PARIL
BSIT2-4D

Anonymous said...

Uhmmm.. Wow!!, what an inspiring speech! a speech that will enrich every minds of the Filipino people to strive for more and of course, don't lose hope... never.. Ang best line na nabasa ko ay ito, "The important thing to know is that life will always deal us a few bad cards. But we have to play those cards the best we can. And WE can play to win! " napakalaking bagay talaga ang magsikap para maabot ang tagumpay, the whole story ay ang angkop na angkop para sa mga kabataan. It mirrors the life of a wheel, minsan nasa taas, tapos bababa, at paglaon ay muling aangat. Pero syempre maaring tumigil pa rin ang gulong at mag-stay ka na lang sa baba kung wala kang ginagawa para sa iyong sariling ikauunlad.

For real, pwede sa magpakailanman ang napakagandang napagdaanan ni Sir John Gokongwei. We all know that there are so many people like him na nagtagumpay na, all of them were blocked by odds and once dropped into the floor, but they stand for they will and achieved the glory. I know we can all do what Mr. gokongwei have done. Thanks Sir, Good Day!!

Mart Ellis Cueto
BSIT 2-4D

Anonymous said...

<..ahhhmmm sOri sir super late po etong post ko..>

..masasabi ko p0h tungkol sa article ay napaka inspiring p0h ng kwent0 ng buhay ni Gokongwei.. hindi ko p0 ganun kakilala si Mr.Gokongwei, pamilyar lang p0 yung pangalan nya.. pero nung mabasa k0 p0h yung tungkol sa buhay nya ay masasabi k0 p0ng isang influential na ta0 et0ng si Mr. G0kongwei, in a way na ineexpress niya ang kanyang sarili at ipinapakita lamang niya sa mga ta0 na lahat tayo'y may kakayahang maging matagumpay at maunlad.. kung pagsisikapan natin eto..

Bagaman p0 at nakakaranas nga tayo ng pagkakata0ng tay0'y bumabagsak at hindi tay0 nagiging matagumpay sa ating mga ginagawa, dapat ay ituring na lamang natin eto bilang isang hamon para sa atin, para sa mas magandang resulta.. minsan kaylangan nating maranasang madapa o matalo para matuto din tayong bumangon at muling lumaban.. alam naman natin sa sarili natin na may ibubuga tayo..

magsikap lamang at maging determinado.. tulad ni Gokongwei, at matuto tayong magtiwala sa sarili nating mga kakayahan..simulan muna natin sa mga sariling atin.. mga tatak Pinoy kumbaga..na magbubunga ng pag-unlad ng kabuhayan ng ating bansa..



MONICA AMOR C. ARROYO
BSIT 2-4D

Anonymous said...

I have always appreciated the idea of reading someone else’s biography—particularly on how a very indigenous individual managed to get on top and be a successful and affluent one. As I read Mr. Gokongwei’s story, I have learned a lot—particularly values to live by. I can say that these values, in one way or another, changes my way of living. I am inspired by their actions which makes me strive to be the best. It is a good thing that there are still individuals who are also considering the interest of other people. For example, Gokongwei provides services and goods that are of low cost but have great value.

I really like this article. I, surely, learn a lot. I think I have been given a break from reading articles about politics and government. This is a very nice article. I just hoped that Filipinos will be like Gokongwei. In that way, the number of indigenous people will decrease.

Fatima Diane Rempillo
BPS II-2

Anonymous said...

SER! SUPER LATE NA NG KOMENT KO! pasensya..


masasabi ko lang e talagang napakasipag ni Mr. Gokongwei.. dito ko lang nalaman sa pinost mo na yun pala ang mga kompanyang pinag-mamay-ari niya. sana lahat ng Pilipino e katulad ni Mr. Gokongwei.

dapat syang ma-recognize sa buong mundo!



renz jerome villanueva
bsit 2-4d

Anonymous said...

whoa!

inspiring ang story ni Mr. Gokongwei. isang tao ang nagpapatakbo ng malalaking company dito sa Pilipinas.

dapat dumami pa ang katulad ni Mr. Gokongwei sa bansa natin para aangat ng super ang Pilipinas. hehe.

kapag may bagay kang nasa risk, dapat malakas ang loob mo na magtatagumpay ka.

dapat tayong matuto na maging kagaya ni Mr. Gokongwei na masipag, may matinding determinasyon at dedicated sa pinasok na sitwasyon.


dream. believe. and work hard!
nyaw!



-RACHEL M. TIU-
BSIT 2-4D

Anonymous said...

There is nothing more inspiring than a speech given by a man who is the epitomy of success and hardwork. Mr. Gokongwei represents the rags-to-riches story we all want to tell someday.
I am one of those who hopes to tell a storyb with the same line of pride shown in the tycoon's speech. Much of his words echoes the same message as that of the others who have gone far in their respective fields. One should work hard, believe in his self and have faith in God.
Everything that is a result of hardwork comes out beautifully, at least in the eyes of the Creator. I think, what Mr. gokongwei wants to impart is that, if he was able to do it, all Filipinos can. For in the face of strife and hardship, a resilient race will be able to conquer it all.